Hiltz & Associates • Insight. Diligence. Assurance
CASEYVILLE — A Moro woman has been sentenced to spend 33 months in federal prison for embezzling more than $350,000 from the pediatric clinic she managed in Caseyville.
Cassandra D. Eberhart, 49, of Moro, pleaded guilty in October to wire fraud and filing a false federal income tax return.
She committed the crimes while working as the office manager at A to Z Pediatrics in Caseyville from 2011 through 2017.
The U.S. attorney’s office says she embezzled over $350,000 from the business by making:
- unauthorized personal charges on medical practice credit cards
- overpaying herself salary
- reimbursing herself for overtime and mileage that was not authorized
- fraudulently adding herself and family members to medical insurance
- falsifying business journal entries and diverting electronic payments from the medical practice’s bank account to a personal credit card account.
Eberhart also failed to report the money she embezzled on her federal income tax returns. The investigation was conducted by the Internal Revenue Service.
As part of her sentence, Eberhart was ordered to pay full restitution in the amount of $368,308.99 and to serve three years of supervised release, during which time she will not be permitted to engage in any occupation that involves fiduciary responsibility without obtaining prior approval from the court.